Friday, July 01, 2005

Government Schools versus Home-Schooling



In the northeast, there is a plethora of private schools that I guess I assumed was the norm everywhere else. When I moved to Charlotte I realized that this is simply not the case. There is only one Catholic high school in the whole area and not much in the way of other private schools.

Charlotte has seen a huge increase in population over the last 10 years and the public education system has been unable to manage the growth. Overcrowding, discipline problems, and something ridiculous like 20% annual turnover of teachers. The Charlotte-Mecklenberg school system is basically a disaster and with the dearth of private schools, parents have turned to home-schooling en masse.

Home-schooling seemed non-existent up north, but that is due to better schools, more private schools, and a higher cost of living that almost mandates dual income households.

Here is an informative essay that addresses the history of public education, its shortcomings, and the home-schooling option.

The whole idea that government should educate children is a concept that I guess most people take for granted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.