Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Feeding Rats and Lawyers...


Some deranged "old coot" near me has adopted the neighborhood rats. No wonder the local egg rolls melt in my mouth.

According to Gruss and ISD, Hanron realized there was initially a rat issue in July 2005 when she hired a contractor to remedy the problem. When that work did not completely eradicate the rats, she started feeding the creatures because, as Gruss described her, she loves animals and taking care of others and “even agreed to feed me as a lawyer, if you can believe that.” (link)

My mother-in-law is also an inveterate "feeder" - but she restricts her bounty to humans.

She cooks for her neighbors. She cooks for her contractors (and their kids) and I also suspect she feeds her local garbage collectors. She has sneaked pancetta and prosciutto through customs on her way back from Italy (spraying the sniffing dogs with perfume to mask her smuggling). She has toted chicken soup as a carry-on halfway across the country to bring to her sick daughter. I maintain that she would feed Bin Laden if she showed up at her house hungry.

No comments: