Thursday, July 05, 2007

Paying to Work


I went to Butternut Farm GC in Stow, Massachusetts yesterday.

CaptiousNut - Hi, 10:15 tee time. I'll pay for one, riding.

Woman - That'll be $55.

CaptiousNut - Wow, it's cheaper than I thought (having checked rates on the website).

Woman - Well, it's a holiday (4th of July).

(long silent pause)

Woman - F*ck!!!

(Obviously she was undercharging golfers all day - charging them a normal weekday rate.)

My buddies asked me what happened. I confessed that I think I just cost us all some cash. One of them then asked her to undercharge us - since we shouldn't be penalized for honesty and she consented.

After nine holes I went back into the shop for some food.

CaptiousNut - Did you tell your boss what happened?

Woman - I just charged my credit card $480 - sixty golfers at $8 apiece.

CaptioutNut - Nooooo. Why? Did your boss make you pay?

Woman - No, he didn't.

CaptiousNut - Well, why'd you pay then?

Woman - It was a big mistake.

CaptiousNut - But it was an honest mistake.

What a dummy! For a nanosecond, I actually felt bad that she had paid for part of my round. Forget that. She's retarded and it is one of the true justices of this world that Morons and their money soon part ways. She was dumb to undercharge and dumb to reimburse.

Imagine paying $400+ to work for a day! She might even need a second job just to pay for this one.

I am going to have to call up today and find out what days she normally works so I can plan future, discounted rounds.

The course is very nice, tree-lined and Hacker-unfriendly. It's much nicer than its overrated neighbor Stow Acres.

This is also cross-posted on my new golf blog, Marginalizing Hackers.

My wife just alerted me to the fact that it's likely illegal to charge employees for errors like this (See the Fair Labor Standards Act).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capitious - you surpise me - why so cold? This one ain't no moron. In fact she appears to be someone that accepts responsibility for her own behavior. I'd hire her (just make sure she tatoo'd a calendar on her arm).

This country would be a much better place if everyone kept such high standards for herself? BTW, ain't you too young to be golfing??? Keep up the good work!

CaptiousNut said...

Golf is the greatest game, nobody's too young to play it - least of all me with my creaky knees and broken back.

Charging her for mistakes sets the precedent that maybe she should get little daily bonuses when she makes extra money for the course. To which the owner would reply that that's what she gets paid to do in the first place.

Yes, I would rather have her cashiering for me than many of the guys I worked with who used the cash registers as personal ATMs.

In fact, this is why bar owners are increasingly hiring chicks to tend bar for them - girls steal less.

They also make you wait longer for service. Countless times I have walked out of bars waiting for some cute ditz to get me a drink.

Anonymous said...

what a Fafard move.

Taylor Conant said...

But they also encourage drunk (and non-drunk) men to buy more drinks in an effort to somehow sleep with them.

CaptiousNut said...

If I was a chick, I'd do the same.

Again, fools will be separated from their money. Why not interject yourself into the profitable side of that inevitable wealth transfer?

JJ2000426 said...

SWC had a very nice rally today. This is a great entry for this incredible bullish stock. It can be compared to PCU 4 years ago. Both return 2000% (20 folds) in just 4 years. I have made a very strong case for SWC super bull. Do your own DD on palladium.

Look at this perfect chart

Google keyword "palla lunar" (one word no space). And follow the Russian enigma!