Thursday, October 18, 2007

Another Marketing Misnomer



How can you possibly call a retirement home Sunrise Assisted Living?

Shouldn't it be more aptly named SUNSET Assisted Living?

Or, how about these more accurate names:

Final Inning Care

Last Lap Living

Grande Finale Nursing Home

The DNR House

???

I love how when these Baby Boomers outsource their filial responsibilities to a nursing home their justification is invariably, "Well, it's better for them to be around their peers..."

Peers?

It's better for your parents to spend their golden years with other doting parents who also have self-centered, irresponsible kids?

2 comments:

Deanna Shaw said...

*Rolling on the ground* This is too funny. Might you be suggesting that marketing for retirement housing is disingenuous?

I personally like The DNR House.

CaptiousNut said...

Deanna,

I confess, when I saw your name at the top of the comment I figured you would lay into me for my sensitivity deficiency.

If I ever get forcibly sent to geriatric sensitivity training I will rat you out as a worse offender!

I had nothing to lose penning this post. My mother, years ago, told me that I hadn't a chance in hell of ever becoming her medical proxy. And, my mother-in-law keeps reminding me (I don't know why me) that she wants "extreme measures" taken to keep her life processes humming.