Friday, October 26, 2007

Evolving Monomania



As most of my highly self-educated blog readers know, I grew up in Massachusetts. Stereotypically, all I cared about my first 18 years on this planet was sports. Back then, I would most probably have donated my right testicle for the present day sports euphoria of Boston.

The New England Patriots have hardly lost a game in the past 5 years. Tom Brady is probably the best quarterback of all-time. Currently they are 7-0 and poised to challenge if not break a few NFL scoring records.



The Boston College football team, fresh off a crazy win last night at Virgina Tech, is ranked second in the country - a plateau even saintly Doug Flutie couldn't take them to.



The Celtics just made two blockbuster trades for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. I am not so sold on the deal, nonetheless oddsmakers and hibernating fans are abuzz with their prospects this year.



And, of course, the Red Sox are in the World Series again - currently up two games to none. Nobody in town is even slightly worried that they won't win their second World Series of the last four years. Oh, how times have changed. Welcome to Winnersville!

If I was twelve-years old again, I'd feel like I was in heaven. Alas, I am not - I am 33, have two small children, and feel very much earth-bound.

Now all I think about is making money and taking care of my family. I'd like to be able to buy my dream house (at my dream price). I want a vacation home. I want to join a country club. I want a maid to do my dishes. I'd like enough financial "flexibility" to give my wife the option to quit her job. I'd also like the ability to give my kids the best education possible - whether that is me homeschooling them or shipping them off to some expensive school.

But this is the very definition of monomania. When you are passionately obsessed with one thing, nothing else matters.

One day, my family will be grown up (or I will strike gold in the markets) and my priorities will transmute into something completely different. It could very well be my grandkids, my religion, or a totally new career.

One day I could have a $1 billion in the bank and be miserable. I could be smitten by a family tragedy or personal health problems. Or maybe all I will want at that point is for my kids to be more ambitious or happier?

Our minds will never EVER be at ease. They'll always be pining for the greener grass and the superfluities that we DON'T have.

This is what I try to remind myself when I am glum. It helps. You should try it. Be grateful for what you have because things could always be much worse.



Fast forward a few years...

Saint Peter - So, Mr. C-Nut, it seems you spent your entire life worrying about Larry Bird, your handicap, mocking Morons on your blog, and how much money you could make. Where did you get the idea THAT was the grand purpose of your life? I hope you packed for a warm climate...

CaptiousNut - Oh sh*t!

No comments: