Thursday, January 31, 2008

Evidence Of The China Bubble Bursting



There's a new cartoon starting next month on Nickelodeon called Ni Hao, Kai-lan!

It's being billed as the Chinese version of Dora the Explorer which is currently the leader in children's diversity propaganda. Of course, the New York Times approves.

This generation's children will have Mandarin words forced on them from the cartoon.

Remember back in the 1980s when the Japanese stock market bubble energized a broad movement to not only learn the Japanese language, but to even adopt their corporate practices? There was also a brief surge in teaching Russian after the Cold War as well. Then of course there's the multi-decade long push of Spanish on unsuspecting students across the land. It all started with the Mexican stock market bubble.

Okay. There was no "Mexican" stock bubble. The Latin-ization of curricula more likely started with the diversity bubble.



As you can see above, Chinese stocks have been fading since my December 31st post. Outside of a small, slightly unsuccessful short of Chinese search engine Baidu this month, I haven't been able to get short any Chinese names. The very fact that I am bearish but not short China bodes poorly for their markets.

The timing of the new cartoon suggests an intermediate top as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's that 'D' word you like so much. I won't repeat it here as I have wiped it from my lexicon - hahaha.

I'd be interested in hearing any other thoughts you have (had) on the China bubble.

Thanks,

CaptiousNut said...

Sorry tom,

I don't have much more than a superficial understanding about what's really going on in China.

Anonymous said...

that's it...you're fired! Hahaa.

I was reading an old post you wrote about the Rattlesnake (and Boston bars in general) - pretty funny. I'm sure by now you've found some good ones...

(and because I can't resist)

Go Patriots!