Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Adults And Cell Phones



About a dozen years ago, I showed an 'old coot' (a golf pro) how to use the right-click button on his mouse. He was using the pull-down menu to copy-and-paste data from cell to cell on Excel.

You should have seen how wide his eyes opened when he was introduced to the right-click universe. I wasn't there when the wheel was invented, but I have to think the euphoria was about equal.

Last night, I had a deja vu teaching moment.

My father was complaining about how long it took for him to find names on his and his wife's cell phone. He hated, "scrolling down that long list". Instead, he kept his list of numbers handy and just manually entered them in to make calls.

Out of the kindness of my heart, I showed him how to use the alpha-numeric keypad to jump around in the address book.

Yeah, ten years ago Mrs. C-Nut had the entry "Ahome" on her cell because she, too, wasn't aware of the full functionality of cell phone address books.

Up next, text messaging - for both of them.

For practice I will have my students text pangrams like:

"The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog."

3 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

In defense of the Mrs, I add 00 to the front of the two numbers I use the most, I efficiently save two keystrokes that way for the first number and one for the second.

But, then again I use about 8500 minutes a month, too.

CaptiousNut said...

Questions:

Whom do you call the most? Mom and whom else?

8,500 minutes? 283 minutes per day?

Are you a phone sex operator or something?

Paul Mitchell said...

Seems like a lot, huh? No, I work from home plus my fiancee is stationed in Oklahoma.

Architect, I have to talk to contractors. You have to explain things two or thirty times.

I avoid the calls from Ma like the plague. That would jack the calls up to 1441 minutes a day.