Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dumb Kid Versus Wild


Read the follow-up to Another Massachusetts Moron and watch the video news coverage here.

He sank several times into mountain runoff that was hidden beneath waist-deep snow.

"The runoff was about 2 1/2 feet deep and probably running 30 mph," he said. "The guides confirmed I could have gotten sucked in if I had fallen all the way in, and I would have been gone."

Saturday and Sunday nights, Mason crawled beneath snow-covered pine trees and hunkered down in a bivvy sack, a waterproof sleeping bag shell. To keep warm, he started fires with a hand sanitzer gel.

"You can put it right on what you are burning, and even on the snow you can make a fire," he said. "I was able to make a fire just because I ripped down some big evergreen branches."

Three feet of snow sounded pretty dangerous to me....but on top of semi-frozen rapids??? Holy poop!

If the *Vesus Wild* reference is lost on you...

Read my posts - Man Versus Wild and Man Verus Wild Versus Captious Fools.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C-Nut,

I like the show (Man vs. Wild) but it over estimates the predicaments Bear finds himself in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Kfell

CaptiousNut said...

I don't buy it.

I believe the show is actually far more dangerous than they let on. They just don't want to scare the audience into not-hiking through 3 feet of snow, all alone, on Mt. Washington!