Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reality Can Bite



My wife was called recently by someone who was looking to hire one of her former employees.

Mrs. C-Nut didn't respond right away. She came home all bummed out that she was put in that position. You see, this particular ex-employee was *absolutely horrible* and my wife is herself a horrible liar.

But both the individual and their spouse had reportedly been out of work for a long time. They have children...

Obviously, any frankness on the part of my wife would probably cost this incompetent person a potential job. My advice whether or not it was actually solicited:

CaptiousNut - But if you aren't honest, this woman may get hired over SOMEBODY ELSE who also needs a job badly, has kids, etc....someone more deserving.

Mrs. C-Nut - But the thing to do is to tell them (the employee) when they ask you to have them ask a different person. I can't remember if I was ever asked to be a reference or if I said 'yes'...There's an etiquette to these things.

It's surely a tough spot to be in - having the power of financial *god* over another person and their livelihood.

My wife did eventually speak with the recruiter/employer on the phone about her former employee. When I asked her what she said I didn't really get a response. Mrs. C-Nut is phenomenally talented at many things but like I said, she can't bull$hit worth a lick.

No clue what happened with the job, but my wife heard that her poor ex-employee's spouse filed for divorce and for full custody. Ouch.

1 comment:

Paul Mitchell said...

I have been in the same position so many times that it defies comprehension because I have been the reason for many people being in the unemployment line. I always tell the truth to the prospective employers. I have had on two occasions had the HIRING employer call me back and tell me that I was right and they had to terminate the person that was hired against my recommendations. My response? "I told you so, idiot."