Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sneaking Up On A Century

Here's my 96.5 year old grandfather at his weekly Candlepin bowling league:



The man has warded off melanoma for the past 4+ years, the loss of his wife, and numerous other afflictions standard for someone of his advanced age.

It may be awesome to watch my son, his 5.5 year old great grandson, solve algebraic equations, talk about the periodic table, devour book after book, and write his blog...

But for me it's even more impressive to behold my grandfather power through each day as he does. At this point he's finally grown a bit tired and despondent. Nevertheless, he chugs along as he seemingly always has.

Tomorrow his chess partner, the Russian, comes over. They'll play intensely "for about two hours."

See also - En Passant.

3 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

Not bad for Candlepin, dang. I might could bowl your grandfather's age at ten pin bowling.

CaptiousNut said...

Candlepin is almost extinct. And that's a darned shame.

It's soooo much better than ten-pin.

You get three balls; you can throw them as hard as you like with increasing success; *wood*, i.e. fallen pins, stay put and can be used to strategically hit other still-standing pins.

Paul,

Have you ever tried Candlepin? Where?

Paul Mitchell said...

I have never seen it anywhere other than on Wide World of Sports once when my grandfather made me watch some guy he knew in a bowling tournament. They did a segment on it. Dang, I bet that was 35 years ago, too.