Sunday, May 09, 2010

Soaking Out-Sourcing Parents - Summer Camp



Last year I complained about the $70 per diem cost of the fancy summer camp we sent the Prince to. I'd say that price represents the *high end* around Boston.

But we're moving to New York....

So I checked out the *low end*, the town-run rec-camp in Southampton, NY that would be akin to the kind up here that are so cheap that parents will sleep out in line to get their brats enrolled.

But the cheapo camp in NY, that too was $70 a day, $350 a week. Welcome back to the insane prices of New York!

So for me to send both of my kids to arts & crafts, swimming lessons, and dodgeball for 5 hours a day, Monday-Friday....that'll cost a cool $700.

My wife says to send them for at least a week anyway - that they deserve it and we have more than enough funds to pay for it.

I agree with her. It's just for $700, I could buy them their own computer. It's still a whole lot of money even with the printing presses running full-bore. When I was a young brat, back when everything cost a quarter, I think my mother used to only spend $30-$40 FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK of summer camp for me.

Perhaps I should open my own camp in NY for $50 a head, cash only???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the comments given the recent events in the stock market, fannie mae BS, Goldman sachs claim they have not lost money in trading once this yr, Greece, etc...Are you living under a rock? Kfell

CaptiousNut said...

Sorry Kfell, I've been busy with moving, landlord fighting, taxes, and the nice weather.

Regular blogging should resume presently - though I still have a bunch of crap to do for the move.

Can't really call what Goldman does *trading* now, can we?