Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A Boy Scout, Nabbed!


This morning, driving on my way back from hitting some of my 40,000 pre-paid range balls, I answer my ringing phone.

Thirty seconds later, an unmarked cop pulls me over for, of course, using a cell phone while driving.

I told the cop that I just moved from Massachusetts and hadn't adjusted to the law yet - to no avail.

The thing is, cell phone-talking drivers (and texters) are one of my biggest pet peeves. For years I have never let my wife talk (on the phone!) while driving - nor would I hardly ever use the phone when behind the wheel. In fact, I wouldn't even do it in Massachusetts for the past five years where the practice is still, amazingly, 100% legal. My longstanding policy has been to pull over to make calls; and I tell people who call me, "I can't talk, I'm on the road".

So how much is this going to cost? - I wondered. Probably $100. Maybe $75?

After minutes of waiting, the cop hands me a $180 summons.

It's tough for me to get angry, however unfair it seems. You see I completely agree with the law AND I do think cops should be pulling people over as they did with me.

In fact, it's the first time I have ever, in 20 years of driving, been pulled over for anything.

Let this be a warning to other New Yorkers out there - don't answer your phone, even for a second!

See also - The Unmentioned Auto Holocaust.

No comments: