Sunday, September 12, 2010

Marginalizing A Gay Wizard Kid


Okay, that's not me unholstering my invert-phobia in the title there.

I believe the author herself referred to him as a *gay wizard* in a commencement speech she gave at Harvard.

Anyways, I just finished reading the book to my son - who loved it.

Me?

I thought the first 180 pages or so (of 312) went nowhere.

So while the author did well to eventually, vividly paint a *whole new magical world*....I still say the book deserves demerits for its soporific beginning. In fact I'd be surprised if more than a few publishers didn't toss it aside prematurely - much to their financial dismay.

But still, make no mistake, this is a CHILDREN's book - with its ridiculous magic, the worn-out *good and evil* dichotomy, and predictable plot.

I'll continue to look askance at childless adults who read and rave about it.

(BTW, there was a little Islamophobia in it!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to try the Chronicles of Prydain series. If I remember correctly, there is more depth to the characters, and yet it retains its apply to the young'ins.

CaptiousNut said...

Thanks. Will definitely check it out.

We're going through books here pretty fast...

CaptiousNut said...

So I started reading the Book of Three (Chronicles of Prydain) to him the other day but I kiboshed it after 8 pages or so.

My son might be a little too young for it. In a year or so maybe he can handle it all by himself - that way Dad doesn't have to endure another *fantasy* book rife with British (Welsh) accents.