Friday, September 17, 2010

Powerless


There was a mini-tornado that cut through my hood last night.

A tree or two fell on the power lines in our backyard, knocking out the electricity in 1/3 of the house.

We had mistakenly thought it was a blown fuse or something until the electrician who came this morning noticed the trees tangled up in the backyard wires.

It looks pretty bad, we got our call in late, AND there are bigger problems on major roads that Con Ed has to contend with first.

They came out about an hour ago and turned off the power completely. So I may be in the dark for who knows how long.

In the meantime I hit DMV to get my New York driver's license (so I can play Bethpage for resident rates!), I dropped my son off at his homeschooling science class, and I'm now killing time at the library.

My poor wife. Y'all should have heard her curse when they cut off the power the split-second she was sending a very important work email out from her PC.

And last night, she spent a brutal 3 full hours in a cab ride home (total distance only 17 miles).

It does seem like the power goes out a lot around here. They have all these huge old trees with the wires woven right through them. Every other thunderstorm ends up wreaking havoc. And I suspect that ice in the winter will also prove problematic.

No comments: