Monday, November 01, 2010

Homeschooling - Collateral Education



One of the joys and side benefits of teaching your own children is that in doing so, a parent's own interests may kindle. I've heard countless examples of say homeschoolers who took up the piano again on account of their children's interest or whatnot.

Such is the story with my kids and chess.

In the course of wanting them to learn the game, I myself had to look at it anew. I started playing against my 96.95 year old grandfather; I read that great book; and I've been sneaking in games against the computer on my PC (Chess Titans). In fact last week I checked out of the library and started reading a book that my wife declared *probably the boringest book on Earth!* in - Standard Chess Openings - 705 pages that covers *3,000 opening strategies*.

Watch the video above if you haven't already. Even those of you who don't play chess might find it interesting.

And tomorrow I'm going to try to sucker my son, the 5.59 year old Prince, into taking my B2 pawn!

See also - En Passant.

1 comment:

Anne Galivan said...

One of the things I have LOVED about home-schooling is studying history with my kids. I had great history teachers in junior high and high school, and terrible history teachers in college.

I didn't realize I had this latent love of history until I started home-schooling. I use Greenleaf Press' Famous Men series.

My oldest son (who has my personality exactly) also shares this love of history and as a 22-year old reads a lot of history on his own for pleasure. Not bad.