Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Homeschooling Zen


So I'm reading this book right now - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - and it's pretty darn good.

I had never heard of it before recently but apparently it's been out since I was in utero - 1974 - and it's become sort of an instant cult classic despite having initially been rejected by 121 publishers (a Guinness World Record for bestsellers!).

While it's a great book, I don't know that I'll do much of a post on it when completed. But I do want to mention, especially to those out there that have probably already read it and didn't notice, that on page 195 or so it most certainly becomes full-fledged *homeschooling propaganda*.

So if you did read it long ago, it might be worth another look with fresh, wiser eyes.

The author's story is interesting as well. And I do feel a touch bad that I just laughed real hard at this sentence on his Wikipedia bio:

In 1979, Pirsig's son Chris, who figured prominently in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, was stabbed to death during a mugging outside the San Francisco Zen Center.
I guess Chris refused to surrender his *zen* or *chi*!

Who wants rapidly depreciating dollars anyway?

No comments: