Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ohhhhh - You Is So Wrong!


Click to enlarge and see if you can spot the *challenge*.

See if you can reconcile the second sentence with the ultimate sentence!

These Singapore Math books are just littered with mistakes. I don't understand how the bleep Frank Schaffer Publications could have published them. And I don't understand how the bleep major booksellers agreed to peddle such sloppy content.

I mean, what could me more frustrating for a kid learning or struggling with math than to assign impossible or incoherent questions???

And, again, it would only take someone of slight mathematical aptitude maybe 2 hours to edit the entire book.

Furthermore, it's by no means just this text. Almost every website I've visited with *sample SAT questions* and other math problems is similarly riddled with egregious mistakes.  It's potboiler math!

See also - ESL Homeschool Math.

4 comments:

Paul Mitchell said...

Wow, that is a weird 1/4. The boy that lives with me had a problem similar to this a couple of weeks ago. Is the Prince performing what is public school seventh grade math now?

CaptiousNut said...

Yeah, and only 28 pages left in Singapore's 7th grade (6A & 6B) curriculum. So he should done next week before his 6th birthday.

But we started algebra (7th grade level) in January and I haven't really been doing much math with him - not at all really since then.

Paul Mitchell said...

That is nuts. I knew public school was terrible these days, but I had no clue how bad it was. The Prince is six, and the boy is twelve. The boy that lives with me is struggling with negative numbers because obviously, math theory is not high on the list of priorities in public school. Needless to say, hard and rigid math rules are not taught at all. I am just perplexed at how the kids learn anything when they do not know the danged rules. Variables are sure to be danged near impossible for him to grasp, but I have been using them as replacements for numbers since the beginning of the year. Your kid is going to have it much, much easier in life and I salute you, sir. You should publish some math e-books or something. Ever thought about that?

CaptiousNut said...

P,

Working on it.

11:26am, and still haven't had time to eat breakfast yet; no shower; no defecation; etc.

The kids are making major progress, but they still sap a lot of my time and energy.