Saturday, June 11, 2011

Parental Corner-Cutting


Ironically, I've never seen that motion picture.

This past spring was tough on me. My kids each had 5-6 outside-the-house activities that they had to be chauffeured to and from. See my pathetic, uncharacteristic recent blog output:


And it's not like I've been neglecting this space to work on other endeavors (e.g. HomeschoolDad.com)....I just haven't been able to do anything recently.

As I've already mentioned, I'm cutting back big time on my little golf hobby.

But I've also caved-in to my wife and permitted her hire a maid ($100 for 4-5 hours of cleaning, every other week). Note the house is still dirty!

One of the other things I've done is start feeding the kids simpler meals. In the past I would never serve them say store-bought meatballs and jarred sauce for dinner. But these are the type of hacks, er shortcuts, I'm experimenting with these days. I'm just too swamped.

Yeah their diet has become a little unhealthier, and in this day and age I know scores of people who are going the other way, devoting serious time, energy, and money(!) to make sure their kids only consume the most spiritually and chemically pure foods.

Whatever. The human body is pretty darn resilient so my kids will survive.

Not to mention the majority of these *healthy eaters* in my circles are otherwise Morons. Recently I had to suffer some 225 lb parent's screed on organic food and environmentalism.

I felt like telling them to forget about Earth and focus on the orb in their mirror!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems as thought you've fallen in the activity trap and don't see it yet.

CaptiousNut said...

Oh, I see it and freely admit it.

It's just that, for example, my son has to do soccer, lacrosse, AND baseball because we don't know which one (if any) he'll take to.

Luckily it seems like we can cross off lacrosse.

I'd rather he learn sports at the park in pick-up games. BUT such an environment doesn't not exist because everyone else has fallen into the organized activity trap.

I will escape this trap; I have a plan.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading about it.

Anne Galivan said...

I absolutely love "Mr. Mom." It is one of my favorite movies. As a matter of fact I told one of my sons the other day we need to buy it because we were, yet again, having a laugh over a remembered scene. My boys (age 23 and 17) saw if for the first time last year (I think it was) and loved it. It must have been on one of the stations we get that show the old movies (we don't have cable but get a surprising number of stations just from an antenna in the attic). In any case, it is one of those films that bears repeat viewing because it has so many bits that are hilarious.

And way to go on getting the household help. Years ago when my kids were younger and couldn't do all the housework I had someone come in twice a month. I did it for at least a couple years and it was definitely worth it. Now my boys do all the cleaning and they do a pretty darn good job too.